HEATHROW –
November 4th
There was a
row of empty chairs, each one showing the angle at which it had been exited.
Above them, the blank Air Oman screens, showing no flights. This
felt ominous, and although I had nearly an hour before the flight, it was enough
to make me sense the worst. Asked where the Air Oman people were, the two bored
BA staff shrugged, and one grunted “Don’t know…they’ve closed.”
The other
one helpfully added “How do we know, it’s not our airline”
I raced to
the information desk, where I imagined friendly, helpful people might live, but
no, this is England in 2011, and I was interrupting a
conversation between 4 colleagues with my petty worries. A fat, middle aged
woman with sleepy eyes looked at me dolefully. Then looked at her screen,
tapped a few keys.
“Sorry you
missed it, the Air Oman desks have closed”
“You’ve got
to be kidding, CAN’T YOU RING SOMEONE?”
“Sorry Sir,
once they close the desks, they don’t allow people through”
“But
there’s a WHOLE HOUR!”
“You’ll
have to get another flight, let me check for you…”
“I DON’T
WANT ANOTHER FLIGHT, I WANT THIS ONE…THE ONE I’VE PAID FOR!
I’d already
been cleaned out by human vermin that had broken into my flat and loaded up on pricey
camera gear, there was no way I was going to fork out over £1K for a last
minute flight. My phone was buzzing, it was Jarvis, who I imagined had already
gone through and was sitting pretty or idly browsing the tax free shops. He
sounded happy as a pig in shit.
“Hey dude
what’s happening”
“They won’t
let me through, so I’m not going”
“Ahh,
you’re joking aren’t you?”
“I wish I
was, but seriously, I’m not going to get there. Apparently you’re already
boarding”
“We’re not
boarding yet, we haven’t even gone through”
Suddenly,
like a genie out of a lamp, an air Oman official materialised, offering to
grant me just the one wish.
“You’ll
have to hurry sir, there’s no time”
I rammed
the bag onto the scales. I figured that if that mutha was on there, I was on my
way to India . As I watched it get swallowed up by the
hatch, the sheer joy cancelled out my desire to go back and ring the neck of the
woman who gave me no hope.
Then they
appeared, my two travelling companions, who I had never met before, but
embraced like old friends. India was on.
The first
leg of the journey was to Muscat in Oman . After some haggling over seats, we
managed to get some all sitting together. It was a spanking new plane, a huge
beast decked out in neutral tones. I sat next to Frankie, the sole female
member of our little group. I knew she was a nervous flier but so far she seemed
calm. Then later, as they were running through the safety drills, I suddenly
noticed a small animal in Frankie’s lap. Its fur was grubby looking and she was
frantically fondling its long droopy ears. What madness is this? I thought.
Here was this big girl, a bright university student, kneading a toy rabbit
comforter – by projecting onto this was she somehow hoping that her shredded
nerves would be calmed and ‘rabbit karma’ would prevent our big bird from
plunging into the sea? This was most unusual, and made me wonder how much I
would see of this particular marsupial once she was confronted with the
stresses and strains that India was sure to throw at us.
By the time
we touched down in Muscat , we were all feeling frazzled and
ravaged. There was an hour to kill so I sucked on mango and guava juice and
bought some grade A Frankincense rocks – there was no telling how putrid and
stinking those hotels were going to be. The final leg was just two and a half
hours, and we touched down in Delhi at 3:30 , ready for whatever the Gods and
Demons were going to throw at us.
Emerging
from New Delhi airport, foggy headed and sleep deprived, our
first mission was to book a taxi without being ripped off by the vultures that
were sure to circle and swoop in on our tender tourist necks.
It was time
to consult the lonely Planet tome for cash saving tips and advice – it should
also sharpen us up for any impending scams. Frankie was already on the phone to
her parents, tapping them for advice – I pictured them at home in the flock
wallpaper study, a remote consul, poised and ready to plough the internet at a
moment’s notice. All I cared about was getting to the hotel in one piece, with
my pockets still full of rupees. Mum and dad would surely take care of the
skyrocketing mobile phone bill.
In contrast
to Frankie, Jarvis seems quiet and reserved, maybe a little unsure of himself,
maybe not the sharpest tool in the box. Occasionally though, he comes out with
the odd witty remark, which he mumbles with a thick Welsh accent. As we hurtle,
full throttle into the hornet’s nest that is Delhi, flanked by buzzing
motorbikes, honking vans and hulking great busses, everyone vying for road
space, all ignoring the white lines, I get the sense that he’s having his mind
peeled open like a tin can and all of Delhi is pouring in there – the filth,
the roadside monkeys, the derelict grimy shops, the battered vehicles, the
weary cattle, the insane traffic and the madness of this whole scene.
The cab
driver clearly doesn’t have a clue where he is headed, and he’s jamming the
nose into any crevice that opens up between the cars. I have no idea how we are
not being battered to a crumpled heap. Is he feigning confusion just to rack up
the rupees? He certainly looks convincing as he does battle with the swarming,
crowding vehicles – half looking, aiming our bumper at oncoming rickshaws and
tuk-tuks, he plugs his phone into a mass of filthy wires on his lap. The thing
comes alive and he makes desperate sounding calls to a remote navigator. We’ve
now clocked up over an hour driving time and over 600 rupees and the Satyam
hotel is still no where in sight.
Finally,
through the smog, MYBAR glows like a beacon. Maciej has told us this is next
door to the Satyam so we know we’re just yards from our rooms. It’s a
ramshackle joint and looks barely habitable. The street cop doesn’t like where
we’ve pulled up and there are heated exchanges. I dish out every rupee I have
and our bags are tossed from the car boot like dead pig carcasses.
HOTEL
SATYAM
On first
sight, the Satyam is a filthy hole, nestled up against the Hells ditch that is
‘the Main Bazaar’. On closer inspection, it reveals itself as a truly wretched
little dive with
an abundance
of strip lighting and shady men loitering in the reception area. We are led up
to our rooms on the second floor, bracing ourselves. Frankie is shown her room
first. Upon entering it, she wretches. They’ve sprayed the place with
industrial strength bug zapping chemicals, a stench that hangs in the air and
burns our nasal passages. To add to the ambiance, a filthy looking sweat
stained bed with threadbare sheets and ferociously bright lighting. This is
going to be our home for three days.
Tried to see online the hotel, I think I found it. Does it have a restaurant?Can you show your room?
ReplyDeleteI can picture your arrival at the hotel Satyam like the film "The Beach" in Bangkok where they arrive in a similar description to yours. Hope you don't meet Daffy (Robert Carlyle) he crazy and later commits suicide, oh dear... be careful!!!