In India, the Hindus believe that Gods and Demons are in contention for domination of the world. So when the Gods are kicking some ass, goodness and light prevail. And when the Demons get the upper hand, all Hell breaks loose. And so it follows that anyone travelling in India is likely to encounter events along the road that suggest who is winning that great battle in the skies. It's why this blog starts with a picture of Ganesh (taken on my one and only visit to India, back in 2008) - he is reputed to be the remover of obstacles, so we're going to need that guy on our side all the way.
And so the time is ticking. In just a few hours, I will be meeting two of my travelling companions at Heathrow airport, neither of whom I've ever met in my life. Both are Welsh.
All I know about these two people are that they are called Gareth (we're going to call him by his surname 'Jarvis' to avoid confusion) and Frankie (who is female). I only know that Jarvis likes making 'soups' - not out of broccoli and cheese, but the kind you make in the darkroom - developing old style film prints with crazy chemical combinations. So he's going to be using a 'rangefinder' camera to capture whatever we encounter. Frankie is a tall red haired girl who isn't going to stand out at all in heart of India. Those Yogis aren't going to know what's hit them! I don't know much about her other than she is a student and is already better than all the rest of us at organising things. That might have something to do with her being female.
And the last card in the deck is Maciej, famed Polish street photographer/ photojournalist and the initiator of this whole madcap escapade. Having been a long time Flickr fan, I've yet to see any street photographer who gets shots like his (check him out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maciejdakowicz/). How is it that he's always in the right place at the right time? I intend to find out soon. Or maybe the Gods just like him.
So, see you in Delhi!
No comments:
Post a Comment